Informative Speech: Illegal Drugs
Length: 549 words (1.6 double-spaced pages)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Marijuana, cocaine, heroin, PCP, speed, shrooms, crystal meth, and angel dust are all types of illegal drugs. What is an illegal drug? An illegal drug is something and often a substance that causes addiction, habituation, or a marked change in consciousness.
I. Illegal Drugs
The use of illegal drugs in the United States is considered by some to be the biggest problem in our society. Over 40% of high school seniors use some kind of illegal drug, and in a recent 1999 National Household Survey on Drug Abuse showed that the three most common drugs are Marijuana used by 11,100,000 people, Cocaine used by 1,500,000 people, and inhalants that is used by 991,000 people nationwide.
1. Marijuana is commonly referred to as Pot, Mary Jane, Chronic, Weed, and Reefer.
2. Marijuana is a product of the hemp plant and contains the chemical THC that is the most potent of over 400 chemicals found in marijuana and mainly affects the brain.
a. Marijuana is a greenish-gray substance consisting of dried-shredded leaves and flowers from the hemp plant.
3. Most users roll it into a cigarette called a "joint", or into a cigar called a "blunt". Users may also smoke it in a water pipe referred to as a "bong" or they can eat it by mixing it into different foods called "special food".
4. Some short-term effects of marijuana include distorted perception, increased heart rate, and a loss of motor coordination.
5. One long-term effect is the possibility of lung cancer, and many experts say that marijuana use leads to use of other more potent and dangerous drugs.
6. There are also some medicinal uses of marijuana such as relieving nausea and pain. Some studies also indicate the possible relief of glaucoma.
1. Cocaine is commonly referred to as Coke, Freebase, Big C, Lady, Candy, and Snow.
2. Cocaine is derived from the leaves of the cocoa plant and is then further processed to produce the common street drug.
3. Cocaine comes in two forms a white-crystallized powder, and Crack is processed with baking soda and water to produce rocks.
4. Cocaine is either snorted or dissolved in water and injected directly into the blood stream and Crack is smoked.
5. Some short-term effects include increased heart rate, blood pressure, irritability, and anxiety.
6. Long term use of cocaine commonly causes severe paranoia.
1. Inhalants are household products that are inhaled or sniffed by children to get high.
2. Some examples of inhalants are super glue, nail polish remover, gasoline, aerosol in whip cream called whip-its, and cooking spray.
3.Short term effects of using inhalants include severe mood swings, stimulation, violent behavior, and tingling in the hands and feet.
4. Some long term effects are liver and kidney damage, brain damage, or death.
Over 65.8 billion dollars is spent by drug users each year and another 18 billion dollars is spent by the government trying to stop the flow of illegal drugs into the United States. Marijuana, cocaine, and inhalants are the most widely used drugs in America, and more people everyday try these drugs. Just like prescription drugs illegal drugs can also be misused. So in conclusion we should just legalize all drugs and move on.